8 Spots To Get Moving Boxes Free-Of-Charge
In just two short months, we'll be moving into a new home. Because we know how much work it will be, we've started creating checklists and gathering resources for the big day (top on our list is collecting moving boxes). Gathering boxes is one moving expense that can be done for free--our favorite spots to check out after the jump!
1. Craigslist. A quick search in the free section (found underneath the "for sale" heading) offered up at least 20 sources for free boxes.
2. Freecycle. We only found one posting with free boxes in our area when we searched yesterday (but it's still a great place to check back with before a move).
3. Liquor stores. Try and ask for boxes with lids (otherwise, contents are bound to fall out in the moving truck). Boxes from a liquor store tend to be small and sturdy--great for books, CDs and DVDs.
4. Bookstores. A perfect place to pick up boxes specifically for moving books.
5. Grocery Stores. Ask them to save their apple boxes for you to pickup--these freebies are perfect for moving fragile items.
6. McDonald's fry boxes. We spotted this solution from an Apartment Therapy reader. We were curious about this alternative and dug a little deeper. Apparently, these boxes are strong and also excellent for hauling heavy items that require a smaller sized box. Because the original contents of the box are frozen, you won't have to worry about the boxes being smelly (or greasy). McDonald's fry boxes also have a Facebook page, pointing out alternative uses.
7. Starbucks. Having worked at Starbucks a long, long time ago, we know from experience that a store will receive anywhere from 1-2 shipments per week (so it's a good chance that they'll have boxes on a weekly basis). Because Starbucks boxes range in size, we like to ask them to hold their larger sized containers for storing our lighter, bulkier items.
8. U-haul Box Exchange. U-haul has created a message board allowing you to search by location for free boxes in your area.
Apartment Therapy readers, what additional spots do you go to for moving boxes free-of-charge?
Related Posts(Image: Flickr member Photo Denbow licensed for use under Creative Commons)
Categories: Homekeeping, Organizing, Roundup
Rose Pink White Zebra Combo Hard Soft High Impact iPhone 4 4S Armor Case Skin Gel with free screen protector
Free Boxes Packing
Customer pays shipping but I don't gouge for handling/packing. I just drive round the back of any shopping center/strip mall and get the boxes they throw out. The non-food ones are fine. We also order quite a lot of stuff and I recycle those boxes. I ship Fedex Ground mostly for heavy stuff - cheaper, quicker, and better than UPS and also closer to me for dropoff. Books ship media mail, cds first class. Buy bubblepack envelopes in bulk online for $0.17 each.
Avery Shipping Labels for Laser Printers, 8.5 x 11 Inch, White, Box of 100 (5165)
Office Product (Avery)
Best-Buy-Box® 5A Brazilian Human Virgin Remy(remi) Hair Extensions Deep Curly Micro Loop Weft 100g Pcs Natural Black Color 12 ~30 Inch(12 14 16 18 20 22 24 26 28 30) (22 inch)
Beauty (Best Buy Box)
The Christmas Box Miracle: My Spiritual Journey of Destiny, Healing and Hope
Book (Simon & Schuster)
The Amazing Spider-Man
Video Games (Activision Inc.)